Getting organized


 Ideally, to start with, I recommend a thick yarn, something that's not expensive and easily available at home, or yarn shop, or $2 shops. It could be acrylic yarn, or twine from hardware or $2 shops.

It has its benefits for beginners, namely, easy to handle, to see progress, to count stitches.

Once you are familiar with basic stitches,  then you might want to move on to different yarns and threads and other accessories.

Hooks are a bit tricky to get a hang of, as there are very many types in the market, apart from different sizes.

Steel, metallic, wood, plastic are some of the types of hook body found in market. The ideal one depends on what you are comfortable with. Getting a good grip on the hook is an important factor while choosing a hook. If the size is not right, the tip of the hook splits the yarn (too small), or keeps dropping the stitches (too big).The final factor is the hook - tip, the actual hook part itself. There are hooks that are shallow, and deep. 

This is just an introduction and not to intimidate a beginner. The best part is, one gets to know these things as one starts practicing regularly. 

When I started crocheting, my mother had a bunch of different sized steel hooks. I practiced with them. Eventually when I saw some fancy, colorful hooks in shops, I bought them. I soon realised it was a waste as they were either slippery (bad grip) or caused my fingers to ache very soon. I now prefer a good gripped hook or wooden hooks as the project might be. 

You too will find out your favorite hooks.

Initially,  we can use size (2.5), (3, 3.5) and maybe a size (4, 4.5). These are apt for standard ply of wool.

Hope I have provided plenty of information to begin your dream of crocheting.

 😉Happy crocheting 👍



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Crochet Space

Let's get started